Thursday, February 27, 2014

1 Corinthians 10:12-13

It's time for the Proverbs 31 OBS blog hop!  It is the last one for the Made to Crave study - bitter sweet!

This week's verse is 1 Corinthians 10:12-13.  You've probably heard it before if you have battled some sort of temptation.
I must admit, I struggled with making this verse my own.  I'm still trivializing the temptations I face with food as "real" temptations sometimes.
How can I compare my food cravings to the cravings of an alcoholic?  or drug addict?  or thief?
Sad thing is, I know that my temptations are as much a distraction from my walk with God as anyone else who struggles with temptation.  We have turned our addictions into idols.

Ew…I don't like saying I have a food addiction!!!

Anyway - on to the verse!


Here's my take: 
I cannot be fooled into thinking I am unwavering (invincible).  I must be aware of my choices so that I don't fall.  I have no excuse: there is no temptation I have ever been faced with that hasn't been faced before.  All of mankind has struggled.  GOD is true, thorough, and trusted.  He WILL NOT allow me to be attracted to something past the point of my ability to handle it.  But, when (not if) I am lured to something, he will supply other options (HE IS MY PORTION) so that I can resist with patience.

I can't let my guard down.
Satan goes around like a roaring lion seeking who he may devour.  Satan doesn't give up, so why should I?
God will ALWAYS be my portion.  He will ALWAYS provide a way for me to avoid those things that haunt me.

Want to see what others have to say?  Click that button over there ~~~>

I have SO enjoyed and grown in this study.  Thank you to Lysa TerKeurst and the ladies at Proverbs 31 Ministries for this study.  Thank you to the other ladies (and a few men) who have stuck it out and done this with me.  It has been eye opening and #empowering!

The next OBS will be the Action Plan that goes along with Made to Crave!  Very excited to start that soon.  If you have never participated in an online Bible study, I encourage you to join one soon! It has helped me with the discipline of daily time of prayer, Bible reading, and journaling…not to mention the self discipline with my health!

If you are wondering - I have lost 7.5 lbs during this 6-week study.  I am THRILLED that the number on the scale is going down.  But, I'm even more thrilled that another area of my life has been enveloped by my "spiritual" life.  My desire is that my entire life will be my spiritual life!


post signature

4 comments:

Janet said...

Wahoo! Congrats on the weight loss - and the extra discipline. You are inspirational! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Mandee, your verse map here is fantastic! Such an encouragement to NOT trivialize the temptations we face with food, and instead, to focus on on the way out we are provided by our good God!

:) Missy (OBS Blog Hop Team)

Unknown said...

Mandee- Congrats on the weight loss! I so enjoyed your blog post and the scripture mapping. This is something new to me that I've picked up through this M2C study and I am gaining knowledge and inspiration from others. Thank you for sharing. ~ Vickie, M2C OBS Team 44

Valerie R said...

Loving this Mandee!! I am encouraged by your strength and awareness that we must be proactive in our choices in life, no matter what it is. When we become lazy in our thoughts, we are vulnerable when we don't have to be. We can walk in the light as He is in the light and allow Him to guide us and when we don't, we can run back to His presence. Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, O Lord, who walk in the light of Your presence!! ps 89:15
Be blessed!!
Valerie(group 40)