Friday, February 14, 2014

Obligatory Valentine Post - The Heart

What kind of blogger would I be without writing the obligatory Valentine's Day post.

It would be easier to just link back to past posts about Valentine decor, gifts and crafts.
Or I could link back to posts about love and marriage.
And then I could link back to posts about how much God loves each of us.

Or, I could talk about the love/hate relationship that most of us have with Valentine's Day, Single Awareness Day, or Hallmark and Florists Make Money Day.
I love love!  So, the idea of celebrating love is very exciting to me!  However, when I've been (not happily) single it's been miserable.  And now that Im married to my forever Valentine, it's still a holiday with way too much pressure.  I love him; he loves me; we should show each other daily.

Anyway - hearts abound on this day!  The cutesy hearts that are plastered on EVERYTHING are the pretty version of the crucial organ that is buried in each chest.



Sometimes that crucial organ - the muscle that control the life-blood - can fail.

That's the case with my Mom.

She's been an insulin dependent diabetic for 36 years.  As with most diabetics, her heart has failed.  On top of the diabetes, there is a strong history of heart disease on both sides of her family.

She has been in stage 4 congestive heart failure for a few years.  Her cardiologist referred her to hospice care a few years back.  But, Mom is like a Timex watch - she takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!  She was released from hospice care last May.

Well, Mom has been back in the hospital for the last week.  Her health is again declining.  She will be released to hospice care when she leaves the hospital this time.

According to the American Heart Association, February is National Heart Month!  Makes sense, doesn't it?  According to a the CDC, as of 2010, heart disease is the #1 killer of women with 23.5% of all deaths reported being attributed to heart disease.

This is so scary to me.  Think about all of the women you know and love.  What if almost 1/4 of them have heart disease and don't know it?

It is so important for both women and men to be educated in preventing, diagnosing, and treating heart disease.  Our diets, habits, and activity level all effect the health of our hearts.  The AHA strives to educate and we can help them.

Donate  here to help them prevent heart disease on the future!  You can donate in memory of or in honor of anyone.  I donated in my Mom's name today and they will send her a card with my own personal Valentine's message.

And it isn't too late for somebody to get a card from you today!  You can design your own e-card.  Send someone you love a special Valentine today!




post signature

No comments: